Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mystery Ingredient Monday #7

I had such a hard time deciding how to use Anne's choice of lemons. There are so many possibilities and most of them (that I like) come in the form of a pastry or dessert. After making 3 desserts last week I thought we all needed a little less sugar this week. That helped me make my decision. Lemon Roasted Chicken was just what we needed, until Robert, our Head Chef reminded me that he doesn't like roasted chicken on a winters day; let alone on a warm summers' day meant for grilling. Okay. Back to square one. Still, my mind was made up. No desserts or pastries. Well, here we are. It's saturday night and all the recipes I want to make involve lots of sugar... i.e pastries or desserts. So, another week of sugar. Oh and some Lemon.

Quick Lemon Blueberry Coffe Cake
from the America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book

Finished product
Mixing the topping by hand made me long for sand
Grating the lemon
If you look close, you can see the lemon zest 







My youngest SIL has become Little Suzzie Homemaker over at my in laws house. She's taken up the task of keeping everyone fed while they're home from school and decided to play along this week. Here is her entry:
Lemon Snow Pudding

If anyone would like this recipe. Send me a comment, I'll get it from my SIL and forward it on. I'm pretty sure it came from a Cook Country Magazine, but not sure which one. Sorry. 

Don't for get to link up with Anne and check out Jessica's blog for this weeks MI.
As always; (If you want to play along but don't have a blog, instagram or tweet it #mysteryingredient, or tag us in a facebook post about your dish so we can marvel your creativity.) 
Go fourth and be inspired. 

On a side note. Did you read Anne's Love Story

3 comments:

  1. Um. Those are obviously man hands grating the zest. I love how the cooking at your house is always a couples event. And when we come in town in August, my niece better be making some lemon snow for us too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it the OBrien toe, I mean thumb that gave it away

      Delete
  2. I was just scrolling over this post, and saw the pics of the recipe itself and thought, this MUST be an ATK recipe (is that pathetic that I recognize the typeface/style of the recipe?) I've cooked through a good bit of the family cookbook, and recently got the baking book - I tried the lemon blueberry muffins, but now I'll have to try the coffee cake - looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete